ABI is one of the few adoption agencies in the United States to be accredited to facilitate adoptions in Burkina Faso. ABI is excited to announce that we are now able to accept applicants into the program. The Burkina Faso program is a special needs program with children having minor to severe medical special needs. The children are typically older children. The expected adoption processing time is between eighteen to twenty-four months.
Burkina Faso is a signatory to the Hague Treaty for Inter-country Adoptions, meaning that a very high standard of ethics and supervision is applied to all adoptions. Referrals are made by the Burkinabe Central Authority. Families of all faiths are welcome.
Burkinabe law allows families meeting the following criteria to adopt:
The Burkina Faso program is a waiting child program. Please contact Kim Gray at email@example.com in order to view the waiting child photolisting.
- married heterosexual couples
- couples must be able to document a minimum five years of marriage
- singles may not adopt
- adoptive parents must be between the ages of 30-55 years old, and be at least 15 years older than the child they plan to adopt
- the Burkinabe government prefer the adopted child to be the youngest in the home and no child in the home of a similar age
- no more than 4 children living in the home
Travel: The expected travel time for a Burkina Faso adoption is at least 2 weeks in country. Escorts are available if the family is unable to travel. ABI does encourage families to travel if at all possible.
Post-Adoption: Post placement reports completed by a Hague accredited adoption agency are required at 1, 6, and 12 months and annual self reports will need to be emailed to the country coordinator until the child reaches the age of 18. All reports need to have 4-8 photos included.
Download our Burkina Faso program overview sheet and our international program comparison sheet to compare programs and fees.